Sunday, March 16, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: BOSSYPANTS BY: TINA FEY

Book: Bossypants 
Author: Tina Fey
Publisher: Reagan Arthur Books, 2011
Rating: *****/5
Goodreads

Synopsis:

Tina Fey, largely known for her impersonation of Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live and her role as Liz Lemon on 30 Rock, writes a memoir of how she became a comedy writer and an actress. Her witty banter is what sets this autobiography apart, it has her quirky and unique humor.

Review:

I am not a fan of non-fiction and when I am a fan of it, I am usually crying because of how sad the memoir is. So you can imagine my surprise when I found myself enthralled in Tina Fey's writing, laughing and learning along the way.

Tina Fey describes her time at summer camp in which she befriended gay friends and learned that they weren't just props for her amusement but were actual people with their own love lives. I thought her anecdote about being upset when her gay friend introduced her to his partner and she came off as jealous. While she wasn't homophobic at all, she was creating a friendship with these people without seeing them as complexly as she could have.

I also thoroughly enjoyed when she wrote another anecdote of how Tina Fey and another writer on SNL wanted to do a skit about 1960s period pads but the male writers on the show had no idea what they were talking about. I laughed aloud so many times throughout this book and yet I felt empowered at the same time.

Much like Lean In, there is this sense that women can have families and be successful and not have to sacrifice both. I really like how Tina Fey shows how she manages to be a boss but also care about the people who work for her and the show 30 Rock.

Overall, I give this book 5/5 stars because it was a brilliant non-fiction piece that captured my attention the whole time. I have a new respect for the writers of comedy shows and just how difficult it can be.

Have you read Bossypants? What did you think of it? Are you a fan of non-fiction books or do you prefer the wonders of the fiction world?

Happy reading,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment